Thursday 15 September 2011

Upcycling....Beach style


It’s my precious little nephew’s birthday coming up and the theme for his party is “Under the Sea”.  I was inspired by my poor old beach umbrella that got blown inside out one windy day, resulting in its metal bits breaking and me relegating it to the back of the scullery cupboard.  The fabric is still good and it occurred to me that it would make a rather cheerful tablecloth or overlay for the upcoming party.

I was so pleased with how it turned out that I thought I’d share it here.  This literally took me 20 minutes to complete and was quite a lot of fun.

First, I had to separate the fabric from the umbrella frame, which required a Stanley knife and about 10 minutes to complete.  Since the fabric was connected to the frame by a series of loose stitches, it was merely a matter of slicing through the stitches (being careful not to cut the fabric!)  The fabric was secured to the umbrella pole by means of a screw-on top, which came off easily.
 

The metal washer in the centre of the fabric had to be removed.  A tiny screwdriver and a bit of elbow grease made short work of that.

 


All that was left was to close up the hole, which I accomplished by sewing a gathering stitch around the opening and pulling it tight, securing with a stitch or two.

And now, my previously disadvantaged beach umbrella is ready to get its party on!
  


No comments:

Post a Comment