Friday 18 November 2011

Fabulous Friday : Green cleaning

I have a confession to make.  I hate housework.  I mean, really, really loathe it.  I find it mind-numbingly boring and exhausting.  Not to mention soul destroying.  Nothing gets me down more than having spent an entire day blitzing the house, only to find the same stuff dirty again the next day.  Like dishes.  And clothes. 
Feels like Groundhog Day.....
 But in the interest of hygiene, I persevere.  All the while muttering about how housework is killing my creativity and “doing my head in”.  I’ve tried changing my attitude – being grateful for my home and the privilege of having a body that can perform the tasks necessary – but that only lasts so long.  I have even embarked on a massive reorganisation project in the hopes that this will make tidying up a breeze. (this project has now affectionately been named “Mission Impossible”)

I have always been under the illusion that EVERYONE hates housework (with the possible exception of Martha Stewart, although I am convinced that all her crafty projects are merely a diversion in order for her to avoid cleaning her house.)

But to my astonishment, I have discovered that there are actually people out there who enjoy cleaning their homes.  Yes, you read right.  They like it.

Take Shannon Lush for example.  Her love of housework and her passion to find environmentally friendly alternatives to store-bought cleaning products have resulted in numerous books, a radio show and a television program.  (you can catch the latter on the Home Channel on DSTV.

Shannon has four rules for her cleaning tips:

  1.  They have to work.
  2.  They have to require equal or less elbow grease or effort than traditional methods.
  3.  They have to do the least possible damage to the planet
  4.  They have to be as inexpensive as possible.

I’ll be honest, I was sceptical.

I started off small, with Shannon’s most basic (and seemingly favourite) cleaning ingredients.  Bicarb and vinegar.  I know, right?  Sounds crazy.  But it actually works!  She has what she calls a two-sponge method, but I was not even going to commit to buying two sponges before knowing whether this was legit.  I used a cloth.  And cleaned the bath.

Take a cloth.  Sprinkle some bicarb on it.  Spray with vinegar.  While it’s fizzing, wipe the bath down.  Then rinse.  Fantastic! 

You can also use bicarb and vinegar to clean a dirty or blocked drain.  You pour 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of bicarb into the drain.  Wait 20 minutes and then add 1 cup of white vinegar. A chemical reaction occurs which scours the pipe. Wait a couple of minutes and pour a jug of boiling water into the drain to flush it clean.  I have also tried this and it works like a dream. 

I have to admit, the fizzing thing is cool.  Makes it quite, dare I say…fun?  I now don’t mind so much that I have to keep cleaning the bath.  I skip down the passage, with my bicarb and vinegar in hand.  “Off to get my fizz on, darling”, I reply when questioned. 

I have learnt a few other neat tricks.  Like using 1 teaspoon of lavender oil mixed with 1 litre of water in a spray bottle as an all-purpose cleaner.  There are apparently over 200 antiseptic compounds in lavender oil, which makes it perfectly sanitary.

And who knew that oil of cloves kills mould?  Shannon suggests using it to get rid of the mould in your shower.

She has loads of other tips and methods, which you can find here.

 And look out for future posts where I will share more eco-friendly gems I have come across in my quest to make housework easier.

As my mother always says…..

“They say housework never killed anyone.  But why risk it?”

 

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I don't necessarily hate housework, but would rather be playing golf for sure! Love your mom's quote, funny. Thanks for visiting and following my blog and I was hoping to do the same, but see no "followers" section?

    ReplyDelete